[pianotech] Keytop Replacement In The Field

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Thu Mar 10 13:48:47 MST 2011

Terry,
You mentioned that the piano is a 10 year old C7. Yamaha keytop material is
very consistent from year to year. I have Yamaha keytops in stock that are
at least 15 years old and the color is consistent with the current Yamaha
color. Your lucky that it is a Yamaha because their replacement keytops are
precisely the same dimension as the original key stick. You can purchase an
octave from Yamaha with confident that it will match both in size and color.
There is an exception. Yamaha used a material called "Ivorite" on most of
their 6' and larger pianos of that era. I suspect that piano would have it.
You will need to call Yamaha and give them the name of the key and be sure
to specify "Ivorite". I had to perform the same field replacement and you
could not distinguish the replacement from the neighboring keys, other than
it didn't have the accumulated surface scratches. Use PVCE glue. As for
removing the old keytop; use your best judgment.
Roger Gable