[pianotech] Drilled capo bars

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:00:19 MST 2011

Agreed, JD, but to a point, and depending on many individual factors.

Calculations show that given:

1) Grey Cast Iron (typical @4% carbon) lowest grade 20 with MOE of 10
to 11.6 x 10^6
2) 15 to 18 degrees upward string deflection (under capo)
3) Trapezoidal shape of capo ½" top, 1” base, 2” tall
4) Length 12”, uniform loading
5) moi units^4 = 0.48
6) Number of strings = 20 unisons x 3 = 60
7) Tension avg. = 160 lb. pull

As measured in highest capo of Steinway B. A nearby M&H BB, though
fewer unisons, carries an almost identically dimensioned capo.

Thus, the aggregate upward load on the capo bar would be 2,485 lbs at
15 degrees, and 2,967 at 18 degrees. Using MOE of 11.6 the deflection
of the bar at its center would be 0.020” when strings are pulled up.
Higher grades iron (such as 30) yield higher MOEs of 14.5 and as such
help some to control deflection, but not much.

Even a steel bar of same dimensions (30 MOE) would still deflect by 0.010”

Compromising these bars with through-holes would be risky, especially
for those unisons directly under the holes.

FWIW – and still having fun.

Nick Gravagne, RPT
AST Mechanical Engineering