[pianotech] Drilled capo bars

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 15:36:58 MST 2011

At 15:00 -0700 10/03/2011, Nicholas Gravagne wrote:

>Agreed, JD, but to a point, and depending on many individual factors.
>
>[...]
>
>Thus, the aggregate upward load on the capo bar would be 2,485 lbs at
>15 degrees, and 2,967 at 18 degrees.
>
>[...]
>
>Compromising these bars with through-holes would be risky, especially
>for those unisons directly under the holes.

Yes, of course, and if all that stress were applied at the middle of
the bar it would certainly make a difference.  I must admit I was
thinking only of the bar as a massive string termination and not as a
beam, and now David Love is questioning even that.  I fear pianos
will need to be a lot heavier in the future!

JD