[pianotech] First full excursion - New Format

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Thu Mar 10 23:34:37 MST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Duaine Hechler <dahechler at att.net> wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 11:33 PM, Jim Moy wrote:
>> No, we aren't faced with that, Member Max is. We don't have to worry
>> about it because it's on their server now, not ours.
>>
> Step back and think about it - NO - not directly - BUT - certainly
> concern for unaccountable down time when one hits.

Ok, an indirect concern, there are lots of those. Maybe Member Max can
handle the virus issue, maybe they can't. It is certainly possible, I
have Windows blades running hosted 24/7 servers that have been running
continuously for years now with no virus problems. It's not *that*
hard.

>>> If the whole system hinges on Javascript - which every script - has - to
>>> - be - downloaded - through - your - browser - before it can be executed.
>
> Yes and No  - most CMS's build the webpage on the fly - EVERYTIME.

Which has nothing to do with your original point that downloading and
executing JavaScript every time affects performance. You've brought up
a completely unrelated issue as an answer to your original unfounded
criticism of the technology.

And to your new point, take the example of Amazon. They hit multiple,
separate databases abstracted behind web services from separate
systems on a cloud every time you hit a web page while shopping there.
They seem to have no problem with standard, dynamic web page
architecture. So do thousands of other high-performing web sites. The
technology is not an issue, its application and the engineering
decisions behind it are everything.

> Which in turn, the bigger each thread (whatever) gets - the longer it's
> going to take to process.

Which may be one reason they limit you to 25 comments per page.

In the end, the specific technologies used by Member Max and Higher
Logic are irrelevant to us, because we are choosing them to perform a
service. It is their ability to perform or not that should be our
concern.

Jim