[pianotech] First full excursion - New Format

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu Mar 10 23:14:38 MST 2011

On 03/10/2011 11:33 PM, Jim Moy wrote:
> <snip>
>> ...NOW you are faced with dealing with VIRUSES, etc
>>
> No, we aren't faced with that, Member Max is. We don't have to worry
> about it because it's on their server now, not ours.

Step back and think about it - NO - not directly - BUT - certainly
concern for unaccountable down time when one hits.
>> If the whole system hinges on Javascript - which every script - has - to
>> - be - downloaded - through - your - browser - before it can be executed.
>>
> If you "view source" in your browser, you'll find there is relatively
> modest use of JavaScript in the pages you referenced, only a couple of
> Google utilities. Nothing like the larger libraries like Dojo, jQuery,
> etc. A well designed system makes the appropriate tradeoffs in client
> vs. server execution, and neither is "bad."

Yes and No  - most CMS's build the webpage on the fly - EVERYTIME.

So that means, EVERY discussion group entry has to retrieved from the
database - and - rebuilt - and - formatted in a webpage - then - sent to
the browser.
>> To be blunt - if - PTG chooses to stay with this software - the users
>> are (instead of using the 4 letter word) SCREWED - with unpredictable
>> and erratic response time.
>>
> Because it uses Windows, JavaScript, instead of PHP? I doubt those
> would be the reasons for poor performance. More likely like the
> structure of their operations, how much server time is dedicated to
> our account, the routing to their servers, etc., etc. But again, their
> internal implementation is not our concern, only functionality and
> response time, whatever the reason may be. But yes, if it's too slow,
> the system is unlikely to be used.

See the point above - about re-building the webpage - every time it's
displayed.

Which in turn, the bigger each thread (whatever) gets - the longer it's
going to take to process.

--

Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years