[pianotech] First full excursion - New Format

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Thu Mar 10 22:33:52 MST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Duaine Hechler <dahechler at att.net> wrote:
> If this software runs on Windows - which I believe it does - ...

I'd say that's likely, given the addresses have a .dll in its path,
which shows it was implemented through an IIS extension, which indeed
runs on Windows servers.

> ...NOW you are faced with dealing with VIRUSES, etc

No, we aren't faced with that, Member Max is. We don't have to worry
about it because it's on their server now, not ours.

> If the whole system hinges on Javascript - which every script - has - to
> - be - downloaded - through - your - browser - before it can be executed.

If you "view source" in your browser, you'll find there is relatively
modest use of JavaScript in the pages you referenced, only a couple of
Google utilities. Nothing like the larger libraries like Dojo, jQuery,
etc. A well designed system makes the appropriate tradeoffs in client
vs. server execution, and neither is "bad."

> To be blunt - if - PTG chooses to stay with this software - the users
> are (instead of using the 4 letter word) SCREWED - with unpredictable
> and erratic response time.

Because it uses Windows, JavaScript, instead of PHP? I doubt those
would be the reasons for poor performance. More likely like the
structure of their operations, how much server time is dedicated to
our account, the routing to their servers, etc., etc. But again, their
internal implementation is not our concern, only functionality and
response time, whatever the reason may be. But yes, if it's too slow,
the system is unlikely to be used.

Jim