[pianotech] First full excursion - New Format

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu Mar 10 19:52:13 MST 2011

On 03/10/2011 12:32 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Well, I just put forth the effort , (after finally fixing the foible
> of "logging on"<G>), and poked around in the new web site. I found it
> to be extremely slow. The ability to go from one discussion area to
> another was also slow. However, all of the different areas of
> discussion is one of the big problems, as I see it. With this system,
> all different threads are lumped into my Digest. I like that and have
> really gotten used to it. I think that the fragmentation of subjects
> takes away a major part of the "coummunity" feel and definately makes
> it all more impersonal. (In some cases that may/maynot be a good
> thing.<G>) Truly, I am trying to approach this major change with open
> eyes. So far, I'm getting black eyes all over the place. The "complete
> your profile" thang is What the Heck is that????? You'd think that it
> was a  dating web site! What's that all about????
> As I've stated before, I have a real problem with the Off Site
> approach to this. It will come back to bite us!
> Final comment: I'm not impressed.
> Joe
> P.S.
> After which, I get a whole bunch of "Welcome to our site" emails! More
> Dating Website B.S.!!! Not liking this one darned bit.
>

> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain of the Tool Police
> Squares R I

For Ron Berry's benefit and all the other decision makers, I'll say it
again.

-------------------------

If this software runs on Windows - which I believe it does - NOW you are
faced with dealing with VIRUSES, etc

Which, in turn, a new study has come out stating that there are now more
than - 50 million - yes, I said - 50 million - known Windows VIRUSES, etc

-------------------------

If the whole system hinges on Javascript - which every script - has - to
- be - downloaded - through - your - browser - before it can be executed.

Alias - "client side" execution.

Where as a "PHP" script software - like eGroupware - is a "server side"
execution, meaning very little - if anything - needs to be downloaded
before it executes.

To be blunt - if - PTG chooses to stay with this software - the users
are (instead of using the 4 letter word) SCREWED - with unpredictable
and erratic response time.

Examples from the Main web page:

Link "Join ptg" executes:
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=13&MenuKey=Menu1

Link "Resources" executes:
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=14&MenuKey=Menu2

Link "Communities" executes:
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=15&MenuKey=Menu3

Link "Publications" executes
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=16&MenuKey=Menu4

Link "Events" executes
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=17&MenuKey=Menu5

Link "Contact Us" executes
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=18&MenuKey=Menu6

----

Even the download of the "Free teaching tools":
http://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=120&Time=877163826&SessionID=978os2w9o60x62a86968m1gk382xj0xyl787enbua4kj09n86c70018y60sy4549&MenuKey=Menu2

..............you get the point

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years