[pianotech] Hmmm?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 09:32:05 MST 2011

Will:

I thought that at first and I will say that I'm disappointed at how the
functionality and the implications of future use was communicated from the
beginning.  But once you set up the system and make your notification
selections I'm not sure it's that different in terms of actual use (emphasis
on not sure).  If you want it to operate more like the old system then in
the notifications you should select text (or PDA).  That gives you a plain
text email notification and not an html interactive post that defaults you
to the website format.   But I'm trying to still get a grip on the reality
here.

After examining it more carefully the only extra step really that I see is
if you want to post a new message. You then have to go to the site and start
it from there.  But that has an advantage as well in that by doing so you
create a unique thread which is automatically sorted on the site.

One potential issue I see is when people form groups.  You do have to
occasionally check in on the site to see if new groups have formed.  I see
this as a potential problem in that there's no limit to the number of small
sub groups that might be formed.  You could have a voicing group, fine.
Then someone wants to make a group on Steinway voicing, then Renner blue
voicing.  There's no real control over how any one individual wants or
decides how to set up groups or under which umbrella a new group might
already exist.  Potentially you just have a clutter of groups.  In practice
you will have to go onto the site and check out which groups exist to see if
you want to subscribe to that group.  Once you do that it's easy enough to
select but you do have to monitor.  I don't really like that aspect.  I
think it could get very unwieldy and inefficient.

I can also see a problem in deciding where you want the posting to go.  As
the current system exists you can post a query, say, to multiple groups by
simply copying the respective email addresses into the address part of your
email.  For example you can send a single query to pianotech and caut by
just posting to both email addresses (as I've done here).  In the new system
if you want to do that I'm not sure how that would work or whether you would
even need to do that.  If people are subscribed to multiple groups then any
posting you put in would by  everyone anyone.  So I'm not sure about that
concern.

One other issue that I see is that often conversations start on one thread
and then morph into something else.  Now the subject line is "Hmmm", not
very aptly titled with respect to where this conversation is going.  Since
you can't change the subject line in the new system that forces you to start
a new subject line altogether.  I don't know if that's a problem or not but
there may be a reason to want to follow the entire thread from its pre
morphed subject to its post morphed subject.  In the old system you can do
that fairly easily.  In the new system, especially going back to research,
you'll have a harder time determining where that break took place and if you
are following the original subject line going forward you won't know if it
branched off into a new subject line except to hunt around and try and
figure it out.  I don't like that but I have to consider it more and see how
that might be worked around in practice.

However, for the moment, much of the confusion comes from the fact that
there are two separate systems operating and how you choose notification
settings.  I'm not sure how that could have been avoided.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com