[pianotech] A new Pianotech list that works

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sat Mar 12 10:07:44 MST 2011

On 03/12/2011 10:45 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> On 3/12/2011 9:48 AM, Paul McCloud wrote:
>

>> The bottom line is, some people on the list are going to be reluctant to
>> share what they know because it's too time-consuming to do it.
>
> Judging from the number of 500+ word posts, I seriously doubt the time
> consumption is the true problem. In my case, it's having to fight what
> appears to me to be a nowhere near ready-for-market system, written by
> inexperienced people and not realistically (at all?) beta tested
> before marketing. For those people who like the old adventure games,
> where the secret of getting past the Flatu-gax at the end is having
> eaten the blue rock and sticking the candle in your left ear at the
> beginning, this thing is perfect. For those who don't care for
> guessing at the magic words that make negotiating with a virtual 14
> year old who decides by no apparent criteria what you can and can't
> do, it's very annoying.
>
> If this were software I'd bought, based on what was printed on the box
> (since I sure wouldn't expect any user accolades or stunning reviews)
> It would be deep in the trash by now, and I'd be looking for something
> functional.
>

>> I just hope that we get this straightened out, fast.
>
> I visualize a dog walker, with two Irish Wolfhounds, a Boxer, a
> Basset, a Chihuahua, two Pomeranians, a three toe'd sloth, and a
> terrorist in a dog disguise crossing a busy intersection against the
> light. That's us, there in the middle.
>
> Unless the supplier is deep into a "ground up" rewrite and
> reorganization, I'd be very surprised if this ever proves to be workable.
>
> Ron N

WELL, being the person that I am, I logged a complaint direct to the
company (Higher Logic) and here was their reply:

Duaine,

Thank you for your note.  I appreciate you taking the time to reach out.

I can assure you that our software if virus free, we power approx.. 250 associations and over 30,000 communities.  While the new system is very different from the last, it is a vast improvement in many respects.  All I ask is that you give it a chance.

If you would prefer to go back to the old system, then you can always go to the "My Subscriptions" page and change your subscription to "PDA" mode which allows you to receive, real time, plain text emails which you can then respond to by your email client.  Of course there are many downsides to this but these are things which are currently experienced with your current system i.e. no direct link to view the user profile; no immediate link to view the thread, no integrated mobile apps etc.

With respect to your comment about moving to linux, it is my experience that there is little that can be achieved with a linux platform that cannot be achieved from a windows platform and vice versa.

Notwithstanding the above, we are planning to enhance the discussions group format in the near future, so if you have any specific recommendations I would welcome them.

---------- DID WE GET INFORMED ??? --------

p.s. I forgot to mention, the outage last night was for a system upgrade and all clients were advised well in advance of this.  We typically do this late at night on a Friday or at the weekend to minimize disruption.  Apologies if you didn't receive the notice.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years