[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 12 17:58:46 MST 2011

On 3/12/2011 5:36 PM, Joe DeFazio wrote:

> Thanks, Ron. Good observations as always.
>
> I did pull up on the speaking length quite hard with a stringing hook
> while keeping a finger on the front duplex adjacent to the capo. I was
> not able to feel the rocking motion.Ditto with pushing down on the
> speaking length adjacent to the capo.

Don't know, I've never tried that, but I can definitely see the bridge
top string segment bow, pulling sideways on the speaking length there.
Probably because it's only about a 10° offset angle, but it's still a
good demonstration if principle.

>So, the excursion must be quite
> small. Now, of course, I have a string to level ;-)

See there, you should have done it at the bridge. <G> Serves you right.

Did you try plucking the duplex and hearing the speaking length pitch?
The first time I discovered that, I thought it was really cool.

Ron N