[pianotech] Cosmetic aspects of filed hammers

Alan Forsyth forsyth93 at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 13 01:52:10 MST 2011

David,

Did you remove the hammers and place them in groups in a vise to dress the hammers, or do them in situ?

On this 1883 Bechstein I used French chalk to whiten the hammer surfaces and then vigorous brushing with a nailbrush.

That action by the way is one of those ghastly Schwander French Crank (Molyneux) actions. Instead of a Dremel I made my own hammer filing tool using an empty cotton reel bobbin and Black & Decker cordless screwdriver.

The stringing on the piano was original and I used the same tool but with steel wool attached to the bobbin to clean the bass strings. It really brought them back to life, more from the vibration than anything else.

Still a crap piano though.

AF