[pianotech] Cosmetic aspects of filed hammers

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 09:59:07 MDT 2011

Hi Alan,

Your reel and bobbin set up had me laughing out loud since it reminded me of
the old "joke techniques", the kind that used to exist as drawings back in
the old days of paper and snail mail newsletters (Ohio and Pennsylvania were
big on that as I recall).

The simplicity of your idea is brilliant. But some questions. Could you tell
us more of your technique in its use. I imagine that the slow speed of the
cordless is an advantage as to control. Also, something of the size of the
bobbin. I assume you used spray glue then carefully wrapped sandpaper on the
bobbin. What about the seam? This seems easier said than done. From what we
can see, your sandpaper wrap looks tight and solid.

Also, RE the bit inserted into the bobbin: I can see drilling a slightly
undersized hole at the drill press, but your insertion of the bit must be
perfect or you will end up with an out-of-round spinning bobbin.

The Forsyth Reel & Bobbin Hammer Shaper. Has a good ring.

> *Did you remove the hammers and place them in groups in a vise to dress
> the *

*hammers, or do them in situ?*

You asked the above question, so wondering your thoughts on this. Assuming
the molding/tails are not tapered, do you usually remove upright hammers for
gang filing? And have you fashioned a clever tray / vise to gang clamp them
all as one. This, too, seems a little tricky.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Nick G.