[pianotech] Fw: Cosmetic aspects of filed hammers

Alan Forsyth forsyth93 at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 13 12:20:27 MDT 2011

Nicholas Gravagne wrote;

"Could you tell us more of your technique in its use. I imagine that the slow speed of the cordless is an advantage as to control. Also, something of the size of the bobbin. I assume you used spray glue then carefully wrapped sandpaper on the bobbin. What about the seam? This seems easier said than done. ">>

I never re-shape hammers without removing them; normally if they're in such bad condition that they have to be reshaped, the flanges need re-pinning anyway. This tool can be vicious so you must clamp it in a vise and hold the hammer in your hand. Better to use 2 hands for better control .... and your third hand to press down on the power button .... if you can manage that! Make sure the drum is rotating in the right direction. Luckily the cordless screwdriver has a reverse switch, unfortunately not an "undo" switch.

I glued the sandpaper using impact glue, but I tapered the joint instead of using a butt joint, the same way they make the cardboard tubes on toilet rolls.

"Also, RE the bit inserted into the bobbin: I can see drilling a slightly undersized hole at the drill press, but your insertion of the bit must be perfect or you will end up with an out-of-round spinning bobbin. ">>

The bobbin is a standard size cotton reel for domestic sewing machines so the hole is already there and just happens to fit the standard screwdriver bit. I did insert one of those aluminium tuning pin bushings, which also just happens to fit, that the supply houses sell to make it really tight; it's the only time I've ever used one! Perfectly centred with no eccentricities. (Hmnn, Eccentricity sounds like the name of a town where some of us might live)

"Reel & Bobbin Hammer Shaper">>

I would prefer to call it the Groovy Hammer Humdrum!

When gang filing hammers manually I place about six or seven at a time in a vise with the flanges off and use a block sander. Of course remember you have to sand towards the nose of the hammer from each side.

AF