[pianotech] Ludwig Feigel Piano/Viennese Action Information Request

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Sun Mar 13 13:11:09 MDT 2011

Hello Pat,

       The reason these hammers are covered with  leather is
that when the hammer strikes the string it  blocks and slides
a little this is the " let off ".  It was thought then that the  leather
would last longer.

    If you press the key down very slowly you can easily see  it
slide on the string. I have found that most of these pianos were
not and were not intended to be  " loud "  by today's  standards.
   Most of these actions were built by  ether  "Stein" or "Walther"

     If  I ever voiced these hammers up, I would treat  the felt without
touching the leather or be prepared to replace the leather.

   I wish you success
   Jack Wyatt

In a message dated 3/13/2011 1:55:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,