[pianotech] Cleaning actions, and hammers

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Sun Mar 13 14:10:14 MDT 2011

Original question
John Ross, I do like the idea of using the sand blaster with glass beads. I've been thinking for a while about a compressor.  What else do you use the setup for, in addition to cleaning actions
David Boyce

Hi David,
In the archives, you will find that some people use a specially made box, that collects the beads in the bottom, for reuse.
I never got around to making one.
The amount of beads I use, is not that great, so any saving I would make by reusing them is negligible, for me anyway.
For major usage, a cabinet would be advisable.
I use a handheld sandblaster that also is the reservoir for the beads. By trial and error I determine the pressure to use.
Be sure to protect your face.
To contain how far they spray, I just have a temporary frame, with heavy duty plastic.
Initially I used sand at a low pressure, but it roughened the wood, so only used it once on the wood parts.
Used it to clean the hammers for a while longer.
Now I solely, use the beads.
Probably only $2-$3 each use, not going to break the bank.
Finish off, by more pressure, and just air.
Could be done outside in the Summer, then a protection booth wouldn't be needed.
i also use it to clean the wooden parts of keys.

John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia