[pianotech] OT: Hewlett-Packard (HP) will be putting (Linux based) webOS on every desktop and, notebook by end of 2011.

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue Mar 15 00:15:50 MDT 2011

Remember me saying that - get ready, Linux is coming - well it's here

Hewlett-Packard (HP) will be putting webOS on every desktop and
notebook by end of 2011.

What is webOS?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webos

Extracted items:
> webOS is a proprietary mobile operating system running on the
> Linux kernel, initially developed by Palm, which was later acquired by HP.

> On March 14, 2011, HP chief executive Léo Apotheker announced that
> the company would release a version of webOS that would run within [sic ?]
> the Microsoft Windows operating system by the end of 2011, with
> webOS shipping on all HP desktop and notebook computers in 2012

Not sure about above statement from Wikipedia webOS page, that it will
run "within" MS Windows, I think that is wrong.  Why bother, since it
already runs on Linux kernel.  Wonder which boot-loader will be used.

> HP donates a hefty server to homebrew WebOS Internals Group
> http://www.precentral.net/hp-donates-server-homebrew-webos-internals-group

> HP CEO: webOS on Every Hewlett-Packard Computer
> http://www.osnews.com/story/24503/HP_CEO_webOS_on_Every_Hewlett-Packard_Computer

> HP's webOS Running on All PCs by 2012: Report
> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/HPs-webOS-Running-on-All-PCs-by-2012-Report-654062/
Or
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5sf39zu

> HP webOS Plans Could Irritate Microsoft