[pianotech] Clickety clack

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 05:57:13 MDT 2011

If it's a click AND a clack when you tappet, this is "Car Talk".

if it's the back of the sharp hitting the fallboard, it could be:
-felt/cloth missing from back of notch of cheekblocks
-cheek blocks out of position due to loose/missing screws
-fallboard out of position due to loose side hinge screws or pivot screws

or...

-sharp sticks higher than naturals due to naturals recovered with thicker than original material and thereby hitting (on release) the keystrip which has loose screws and has lowered itself to resting on the sharp key sticks.
-sharp dip regulated deep enough for a loose screw on the upstop rail to make it's presence known

I'll probably think of others three nanoseconds after I send this and/or wake up...

Conrad Hoffsommer