[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 15 08:34:42 MDT 2011

One thing to add here, I wonder how compression crowning that forces a bend
in the ribs might contribute to this in some way.  Consider this as an
experiment.  Take a ball and attach it to two springs pulling the ball in
opposite directions.  Take another ball and attach it to two springs pushing
in on the ball.  Assuming you could set them up with some measureable
equality, when you set the two balls in motion which one (if any) will
continue to move for a longer time?  My hypothesis would be that the ball
being pulled in opposite directions would stay in motion longer than the one
being pushed from opposite directions.  The compression crowned, rib bending
board might be more akin to the ball being pulled and a non compression
system might be more akin to the ball being pushed.  That might describe
some differences in soundboard systems and perhaps this bloom you are
talking about as well.  I don't know really but I've wondered about it.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com