[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 16:05:46 MDT 2011

On 3/15/2011 3:42 AM, John Delacour wrote:

> So my question (and my surprise) remains. Why does good piano x bloom
> when I lift the dampers and good piano y wither?

I don't have much in the way of details, but I find the bloom much more
dramatic in my redesigns than in most original configuration
instruments. I think it's soundboard efficiency, and possibly long back
scales from the elimination of tuned rear duplexes. It seems to me too
that voicing is also contributory, with less bloom from brighter
voicing. These are just impressions. There's not enough evidence at this
point to say for sure, and the next piano may put me back to square one.

Ron N