[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 15 16:44:11 MDT 2011

It might have something to do with some kind of phasing between the
soundboard and the strings.  Some impedance characteristics of the
soundboard assembly might just put it slightly out of phase with the strings
from the point of attack.  With the two systems just out of phase at the
first input of energy, the bloom occurs when they come back in sync.  That
might only happen once at the point of attack or it might happen
continuously as the two phase in and out of sync.  The later phasings may
not be pronounced but might yet exist and could be the quality that some
people refer to when they describe a piano as having a lot of "resonance"
(I'm aware of that term being problematic so let's not go there) or of it
being lively.

The first thing to identify is just *what* is bloom from a mechanical point
of view.  Then you can start talking about *why* things bloom.  It could be
just the luck of the draw and the particular characteristics of that board
that produces that sequence and relationship to the string scale.  There
doesn't seem to be a particular make of piano that has a claim on bloom. It
happens sometimes but other times it doesn't.  It may be more likely with
certain types of scales or soundboard weightings (say, light versus heavy)
which might explain why it happens less on Yamahas with heavy scales and
boards and virtually no panel thinning, than Steinways which are lighter in
weight with lots of panel thinning.  It would seem, if this is the
explanation, that greater freedom of movement of the board would be more
likely to produce it.  I have noticed this sense of bloom less on heavier
ribbed RC&S boards FWIW.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com