[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 17:30:35 MDT 2011

In a message dated 3/15/2011 6:09:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

So then  why exactly does muting the front duplex kill the tone?
David:

If I can parse this question a little, wouldn't it be better asked, what
does the muting effect? In my experience, no science here, the muting
dramatically diminished the sustain, but the voice overall remains pretty  much
the same, except for the consequential sustain curve change. The "noise" of
the front duplex, the counterbearing segment, is inaudible to an audience,
very  audible to a player, and the muting of the segment diminishes the
resonant  "throw" of the piano audibly (this I've experienced several times in
different  venues with different pianos).

Paul