[pianotech] Stwy A (6' 1") speaking lengths

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Mar 18 21:51:32 MDT 2011

Hi Dean,

Sure. I was taught and greatly assisted by Dale Fox.

I do not think that I can describe the procedure accurate enough and I
likely will leave out some details but some things that are important are:
Register plate to case and bridge and record height. Plan on refinishing the
plate. Investigate how the existing hitch pins are in the plate – straight
up and down or at an angle. If they are straight up and down you may be able
to use these holes and avoid drilling more holes. Be certain that the hitch
pin area of the plate is massive enough for more holes. Strings off but
leave under-string felt in place for help with alignment. Bridge pins out.
Is the alignment of the existing bridge notches in relation to tuning pin
holes and hitch pins good – correct any spacing issues. The pins for
vertical are 7/32 rolled steel and will be wider than existing hitches so
keep in mind when spacing. I have used vice grips to break off the hitches
and then a grinder to make everything flat but grinding them completely may
be a bit less risky – you don’t want to chip the plate - grind smooth. Use a
string to align and locate new pin holes and mark with punch. Put the plate
on saw horses and use a radial drill press to drill the holes. Make the
effort to level the drill with the plate so holes are straight up and down
and consistent. Dale mounted his press on a big flat solid wood door if you
can visualize that and made an air pad glide base to make it easier to move
the drill press.

If the existing hitch pins are in at an angle but located to your liking you
may consider a punch mark on the rear edge so that the drill will bisect the
hitch pin that remains in the hole and the plate about 50/50. But the
strength of the plate is important and it pays to take time to consider the
situation.

On my Knabe and the different Steinway’s that I converted, the spacing and
alignment of hitches and bridge notches to the tuning pin holes needed help
– especially in the lower part of the long bridge. Don’t assume the existing
hitches are located correct.

If you are not replacing the bridge or bridge cap then it will be different
and I have not done that one yet.

Tap new pins in and have about ½ inch in and above the plate. Keep the slot
in the rolled pin to the rear and aligned with the string plane.

The photo shows my Knabe. The holes are drilled. I ground off the cast
aliquot and used epoxy to help create a smooth surface.

Gene

  _____