[pianotech] What is bloom,

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 19 10:37:01 MDT 2011

On 3/19/2011 10:17 AM, David Love wrote:
> I'm not so sure about that. Are you?  If so, why?

Bloom, given minimal soundboard function and a workable set of hammers,
is adjustable to some degree by voicing. How much? Given the vague
definition of bloom, everything is arguable, but whatever passes for
bloom can be changed to some detectable degree, for better or worse, by
voicing.

Given the same minimal soundboard function and workable hammers, how
does voicing affect swell, when the hammers aren't involved in most of
it? Among pianos I've heard and voiced that exhibited what I'd call
something like bloom, very few will show the swell effect.

As I said earlier, I wonder how many of the people on list have ever
heard the swell effect at all. It's quite different from everything
we're used to.

Ron N