[pianotech] What is bloom,

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Mar 19 11:25:00 MDT 2011

Are we mixing up our terms?  It's gone back and forth and is becoming hard
to keep track so for clarification I'll call the JD damper phenomenon
"bloom" and "swell" the effect following hammer string contact.  Anyway,
that's how I'll comment on it.

You're right that swell can be affected by voicing.  But that doesn't mean
that some pianos don't exhibit a greater amount of that capacity which might
then be optimized by voicing.  A quality also found in these types of pianos
that seem to have this quality optimized is their relative sensitivity to
energy input, meaning that the soundboard is set in motion easily but not in
the same way that a weak and flabby soundboard moves initially.  Rather
there is some combination of light and easy to move but maximized potential
energy in the form of compression which also has the right kind of impedance
to control the way the energy dissipates.  It may well be a fairly small
target that achieves some perfect balance of those factors.

That may relate to the JD effect (bloom as I'm calling it) in that this same
optimized system might respond very easily to the energy input that begins
when you lift the dampers and the soundboard energy starts to recycle via
the previously damped strings.  It's quite possible that there is some
threshold that needs to be crossed in order for that relatively small input
of energy in the JD effect to become noticeable.

I still lean toward the idea of the amount potential energy in the
soundboard system created by spring compression and some finely tuned (so to
speak) balance between that and the freedom with which the system can be set
in motion.  When those two are optimized you get the most bang for your
buck.

Hopefully someone can give me a more accurate physical description of what
it is I'm trying to describe.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com