[pianotech] SWELL

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 10:51:42 MDT 2011

As I have said, the piano that has this quality in the greatest
degree was a Brinsmead 6'3" from about 1900.  It is many years since
I have seen this piano but last year I bought one that is identical.
The hammers on this piano are far too soft and it will be impossible
to judge it until I have re-strung it.

I also have a 5'5" Brinsmead of exactly the same vintage and general design.

And I also mentioned that this week I took delivery of a 9'1"
Brinsmead concert grand from about 1870, and that, although this
piano promises to be a truly amazing machine and is not in bad
playing order, it does not exhibit 'swell' in any sensible degree.
Here is a picture I took of the soundboard as it arrived.

Note well the curved deafening or cut-off.  Now the boards on the
1900 pianos differ in several ways, most notably a) the bars are
channeled and b) there is no deafened corner.  I will take some
pictures when I get a chance.

JD