[pianotech] Interesting 1870 Brinsmead sostenuto

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 11:12:58 MDT 2011

When I first looked at the Brinsmead 1870 concert grand the sostenuto
wasn't working and I guessed someone had removed a rail.  Once I had
it apart I discovered the remains of some twine on the end arm and
realized that's all that was missing.  I have threaded a thin
polyester braided cord through the arms and everything now works
perfectly.

This is rather a clever arrangement.  Instead of tongues built into
the damper drop, as on Steinway etc., which requires perfect
regularity in the line of the drops, the position of the catcher
cannot change, since it is attached to the damper body.  The catcher
is nickeled brass spring wire and its upward travel is limited by a
loop of braid to prevent it touching the drop.  The braid loop
underneath the body is for the damper string, absent in this case
because this body is from the top damper.

Another nice feature of the drop is the block of hard felt at the
back. This allows you to tighten and loosen the screw without holding
the drop, since as soon as you push the drop inwards the felt
contacts the beam canitilever behind, so you can press the turnscrew
hard into the slot without bending the damper wire.

The whole arrangement is very stable.  After 140 years all that was
needed to get it working perfectly as a piece of string!

JD