[pianotech] What is bloom,

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Mar 19 12:20:25 MDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:57 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>  I find plucking to be the most optimistic, and among the least revealing of tests in the soundboard diagnostic arsenal. Almost everything sounds acceptable at pluck level, except total basket cases.

Absolutely untrue in my experience. If I listen closely, and I know what to listen for, having done the listening several thousand times, I can tell with a high amount of accuracy how the board will actually function according to my sonic standards, which closely reflect real-world, world-class stadards, IMO.

There are significant yet subtle differences in the sound of plucked strings from piano to piano, as well as from section to section. Again, plucking, along with other protocols of listening and measuring, is an essential tool in my armamentarium. It gives ME rich data for my ultimate processors: my ears.

If the marketing copy remark was directed at me, brother, then I must say this: I have tremendous respect and affection for you---and sometimes your first takes are somewhat cynical and somewhat harsh. We're all just trying, from a really honorable place, to move the craft along and share what we've discovered. If saying that makes me sound naive or Pollyanna-esque, so be it.  Great thread.

DA