[pianotech] What is bloom,

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 12:56:03 MDT 2011

At 15:23 -0500 18/03/2011, David M. Porritt wrote:

>I am very aware of how our expectations affect what we see, hear,
>believe etc.  Could "bloom" be a result of different expectations?
>If we are expecting decay like this:
>

>since that is what we get on most pianos, but if we get decay like this:
>

>Our brain could interpret it as bloom since it is more than we expected.

Hey, David, I think those of us following this discussion should give
ourselves a bit more credit than the average psycho-acoustician or
social worker would allow us.  As tuners and technicians with long
experience of listening to, dissecting and analysing complex sounds
that unskilled people cannot even hear, we are not likely to be taken
in by facile aural illusions.  When I approach a piano at the
beginning of a toning job my hearing is average.  By the end of the
job its acuity and focus is such that I feel myself possessed of a
rare and exhilarating power, the ability to point my hearing at
particular harmonics of a note, to listen in different dimensions --
an extraordinary ability that lasts as long as it is needed and then
recedes, unused, until the next time.  This is not peculiar to me.
Any skilled tuner-technician is going to acquire these powers in the
course of a long career tuning and toning, choosing hammers, locating
buzzes etc.  Another part of the job is dealing with the musician,
who generally has no such skill and expresses his impressions in
baby-talk that we have to interpret.

Del is quite right to say that these things should be measured, but
to say that because he, and nobody he knows, has measured them and
that therefore they are likely to be a trick of the ear is perfect
nonsense.  Measurement of even the simplest visible and tangible
things is often difficult enough, as we all know.  How much more
difficult acoustical measurements.  Of all the sciences I have
skimmed the surface of, acoustics is the most difficult.

JD