[pianotech] What is bloom,

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 23:14:38 MDT 2011

Tonight as I was listening to a freshly-tuned Henry F. Miller/Aeolian
spinet, I was trying to hear bloom. There was a definite change in tone
about a second in, when the higher-tensioned single strings picked up the
treble chord I played. There is a time delay before the excitation of the
treble strings drives the lower strings to vibrate sympathetically. Would
this be a part of the delayed bloom we hear?

--John Ashcraft, RPT (and physics teacher)