[pianotech] What is bloom,

Alan Forsyth forsyth93 at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 19 16:41:53 MDT 2011

You guys are making all this sound so complicated to the point of confusion.

I'm sure it is something very simple; like the sheer physical act of releasing the pressure of all that weight of the dampers against the strings and thus the soundboard and allowing the soundboard to do it's job properly. In all probability it only occurs on a piano with very little downbearing pressure to begin with.

As for the swell effect itself, I have experienced it in a different context but can only describe it as what I would call a "secondary wave" if that makes sense to anybody.

AF
(feeling blooming swell!)