[pianotech] What is bloom,

David M. Porritt dmporritt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 16:56:05 MDT 2011

At some risk of being flamed again, let me propose one other physical
possibility for the "bloom", "unexplained-swell," or whatever we're calling
it today, of sounds on some pianos.

In the inner ear the Stapedius muscle is on guard to protect our cochlea
from damage from loud sounds.  It is connected directly to the stapes right
at the cochlear window.  When a loud sound enters the ear the Stapedius
muscle contracts to restrict the energy that would otherwise go to the
cochlea.  It's not a big muscle and doesn't contract long.  It's entirely
possible that the Stapedius contracts on the impact of hammer to string, and
as it releases within a second or two, it results in our perceiving an
increase in the volume.  On a lesser piano without the good sustain, by the
time the Stapedius lets go, the sound has decayed sufficiently that we don't
perceive that phenomenon.

dp