[pianotech] Riding the rails

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 19:50:37 MDT 2011

BTW are you sure you can't salvage them with some wood rot doctor type
stuff.  I just did that on an old rail and it worked out well.  Had to build
up a couple of enlarged holes with some wood flour/epoxy mix but they seemed
to hold and the epoxy infusion seemed to solidify things.  It's not much of
an effort to try it, if it doesn't work you can go to the next step.  Just
let the stuff soak in with repeated applications and when it seems like it's
taken all it can turn the rail upside down so that you don't have a pool of
epoxy in the hole itself.  Let it drip onto something for awhile and then
wipe away the excess with some lacquer thinner.  You can only do one rail at
a time that way but it's just two days.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com