[pianotech] Steinway parts list

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Mar 26 08:12:21 MDT 2011

Indeed. Copyright is not something that you have to DO. It is something
that automatically IS.  It is a right that exists as soon as you produce
an original work.

What would be copyright about a price list, however, is the
TYPOGRAPHICAL ARRANGEMENT of the prices into a list. The information or
fact that a particular part costs a particular price, is not copyright.
There is no copyright in facts or ideas; only in original WORKS produced
using skill and judgement.

It is the same with the piano numbers books like Pierce, as we discussed
on here a couple of years ago.  It would break copyright law to scan and
reproduce a page of Pierce. But it would not breach copyright to use the
piano numbers listed in it, in some other context (however much the
publishers might care to suggest otherwise!).

The information that a given flange costs a given price, does not
constitute a WORK.  The typographical arrangement of prices for all
parts into a list, does constitute a WORK. Therefore, copying and
reproducing the list, or work, is a breach of copyright. Distributing
the information IN the list, in some other form, is not.

More pertinent here, though, is the aspect of business confidentiality
and business relationships.

End of pedantic rant.

Best regards,

David Boyce.