[pianotech] Cleaning bass strings

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Sun Mar 27 21:32:11 MDT 2011

Can I have my two pennies worth? I have on many occasions removed the bass
strings and boiled up a 20 litre (5 gallon) pot, and included a mild soap,
(not detergent), and boiled them for about 15 minutes. I remove them and
hang them up immediately. The water evaporates straight away and the strings
no longer have the verdi greece attached to the copper. I then take every
string and rub them with a medium steel wool. I find pretty much each time
that the result is a much better tone.
David Lawson OZ