[pianotech] Bass Key Slap

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 19:20:15 MDT 2011

Arlie asks:
>> Why can
you hear that on the lowest bass notes, but when you play up higher the
sound is gone?  Maybe something is loose at the bass end in the action or
the keybed.  Any suggestions?  I hope to remedy this sometime when I go
back.

Quickest way to diagnose the loose keyframe is to press down, firmly, on A0 and play the next few notes.
If the front rail is not bedded, this will cause the noise to disappear.  If the glides are loose, any sensitive hand
will be able to feel that in the keys as the piano is played.
Regards,
Ed Foote