[pianotech] Rubber watchamacalits

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Mar 30 14:50:48 MDT 2011

After posting this my good friend Isaac Sadigursky called to remind me that
first, I didn't attend his class on pedals at WestPac (I meant too), and
second that there is an easier and better way to deal with this problem than
rubber hoses or bumpers.  Simply cut  two 1" long strips of leather (the
width will depend on the width of the cup) and place them crosswise over the
cup at the back of the pedal (be sure to clean out all the old crud first).
Then simply place the pedal rod on top of the leather and press it into the
cup, perfect form fit.  Trim the excess with a razor blade and you are done.
No squeaky rubber or sticky dust gathering lubricants to deal with.  No glue
necessary either.  Have some different thicknesses of leather handy
depending on the diameter of the cup (Yamaha is a bit wider for example).

For that I retract my previous suggestion, owe him a beer and told him I
would post it.  If you follow the advice then you can buy us both a beer and
we'll all be even.  Pay it forward.

Thank you Isaac!

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com