[pianotech] Tone Building

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Tue May 31 00:57:16 MDT 2011

Samick SIP 228 just out of the box. Have tuned it, minor regulation, needled
a couple of hammers to even the tone. Piano sounds OK but I would like to
make it better. To my ear the Sauter piano and Ron Overs pianos (grands)
have a similar sound but these are quality pianos with soundboards that
respond to the faintest touch. In the latter pianos the sound is similar on
a soft or heavy play on the note, with a Yamaha or Steinway the  note has a
different colour, a different set of harmonics are sounded. I could almost
say the Sauter sounds clean meaning all the audible harmonics are in sync
with each other. A note played hard on a Steinway to me seems to have
initially all the harmonics sounding in a logical but jumbled noise for the
initial attack and immediate beginning of decay then the note changes to an
even logical sound.

What I would like to do is maybe impossible but would weights on the ribs
help or a harder shoulder on the hammer or ??

I don't believe that there is a problem with the piano, it just sounds that
it is so close, it could be better.

Talking and writing about sound is not easy a being a little deaf does not
make it better. Riblets ?

Tony

Tony Caught

acaught at internode.on.net