[pianotech] Hammer Molding Leads, Rib Alterations & Belly Rail/Rib Wedge

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Nov 16 00:26:33 MST 2011

1) The wedge. Yes, the wedge will inhibit soundboard movement. However, it
appears to be so close to the end of the rib that I doubt it makes any
difference. If you can take it out easily, do so.

2) The ribs. I can only assume this was an attempt to ease the transition
between the full-height rib and the feather. Good idea but this isn't how
it's done. If you've ever attended any of my classes on soundboard function
you've seen how I feather ribs. I carry the feather back about one-third of
the length of the ribs on each end. In this case I can't see enough change
in the shape of the rib to accomplish much of anything other than
demonstrate rather crude workmanship. If you feel compelled to do anything
about this you might sand them smooth, clean them up and brush some lacquer
on the raw wood parts.

3) Who knows what the technician was trying to accomplish. Perhaps the
original owner had some strange ideas about action touchweight. I've
encountered a couple of technicians over the years who thought it acceptable
to add weights to hammers. Generally this was done in an attempt to increase
power. Don't know that it actually does that but it does change the voice.
The added mass causes the hammers to remain in contact with the strings a
little longer and dampens down some of the higher partials. Whether or not
that is a good thing is, I suppose, in the ear of the beholder.

The only time I thought such weighting was useful was on a Steinway D that
had new (factory) hammers that would have been more suitable on a Model S.
Without the weights the keys--with their original factory key leading--was
in the low 40 gr range. Considerably lower than the owner wanted. But,
having already paid one technician a bunch of money to have the hammers put
on didn't want to pay another a bunch more money to have them taken off and
appropriately-sized hammers installed. At least not right away. Nor did he
like the feel of the action with a couple of keyleads removed. So the
hammers got leaded enough to bring their mass up to about 10 gr or so in the
bass and tapering down in the tenor.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com