[pianotech] Hammer Molding Leads, Rib Alterations & Belly Rail/Rib Wedge

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 07:35:19 MST 2011

On this piano, and some others like it, the cutoff bar is floating meaning
that it is not secured to the bracing but acts more like a heavy duty
auxiliary rib where the cutoff bar would normally be.  It provides a stiff
termination point for the working ribs but, presumably, still allows some
minimal flexibility in the entire assembly beyond the cut off bar into the
bass corner.  Not sure what the actual difference in acoustic response would
be with this set up versus a normal cutoff bar.  I would guess not a lot.
Perhaps the belief was that inserting the wedge between the cutoff bar and
the bracing would further immobilize that corner making it function more
like a conventional cutoff.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com