[pianotech] Ballistol Lube

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 01:26:21 MST 2011

German techs have to say very little about it, sorry. Our forum is not so frequented like this mailing list and furthermore the collegues are obviously pretty lazy about writing. The few answers I got were not very detailed. But the main result is that it´s common sense not to use it in piano actions, particularly not for center pins. Allegedly there are essential oils in it and these destroy the center bushings in the long term. All techs that used Ballistol are now using CLP for center pins.

A good application is for the leather of old bridle straps. Often it´s foreseeable that the leather will break when you move it. Just give a little Ballistol on it and it lasts a few years longer. Another good application are joints between metal and plastic. Ballistol keeps the plastic soft and it won´t break or squeak.

That´s all the output of the German forum. I personally use it only for bridle straps and pedal work. For action work I use CLP. In the past I used Ballistol for center pins, too. But I think CLP works much better.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de