[pianotech] Upright price

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:47:26 MST 2011

In my area, most old uprights are beyond their useful life. 80-100+ cycles
of large humidity swings ruins pianos. So much wear, lost motion, out of
regulation, fragile parts, loose tuning pins, etc. I tell my customers to
avoid old uprights unless it's a Steinway or Mason & Hamlin, and they want
to spend the money to completely restore it.

When people ask me about what they should try to sell their old upright
for, I tell them to give it away for the moving.

I've heard it's different on the West Coast where the climate is not so
harsh. Here, old pianos are toast.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS