[pianotech] Bridge cap epoxy

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 29 20:53:09 MST 2011

On 11/29/2011 8:03 PM, John Ross wrote:
> I am glad you told me about the heat weakening the epoxy, I hadn't heard
> that before.
> In fact I have never heated it in the past, but thought I had seen that
> recommended on the list in the past.

I don't see any point in making it more complicated than necessary.
Heating it won't detrimentally affect it's use as bedding for bridge
pins, and it isn't necessary anyway if the epoxy is put in the holes
before the pins are driven in, rather than used as a top dressing.
Regular old West System 105 resin and 206 hardener works very well. I
mix what looks like about what I'll need for a bridge set and keep it in
the refrigerator, filling a syringe at a time, applying it to the bridge
holes, and driving the pins before going back to the fridge for another
syringe full. This keeps the mix from reaching the critical temperature
and kicking off before I'm finished, and the cold epoxy warms to room
temperature quickly and soaks into the hole before I can get the section
epoxied and start putting the pins in. If you're top dressing and need
something thin, use CA.
Ron N