[pianotech] Water damaged piano

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Thu Oct 13 19:18:48 MDT 2011

Rob,

Here's an excerpt from an inspection report I wrote in Oct. 2010 for a
U1 that was in a flooded basement. In this case, the insurance company
was willing to wait 6 months to settle, and the piano remained in the
owners' home. If you like it, feel free to lift the parts that work for you.

"The piano was partially submerged (approximately 4” above bottom of
knee-board, 8” above floor) during a recent flood.The owner minimized
the damage by 1) immediately lifting the piano up on wood blocks, 2)
cleaning, drying, and dehumidifying the room and the piano with2 room
dehumidifiers.At the time I inspected the piano, the internal relative
humidity of the piano was 55%.

All damage from immersion will not manifest immediately; it generally
will appear in 3 phases:

1Immediate damage from the saturation and swelling of the wood, such as
rust, glue failure, finish failure.This is what my recent inspection
looked at.

2Damage duringthe drying out process due to shrinkage of the wood,
including cracks, glue failure, finish failure.It is too soon to see
this damage, as the piano has not totally dried out yet.

3Damage during subsequent years, due to weakening of materials during
the immersion and initial drying.In effect, this is a shortening of the
life of the piano:repairs which might be normal during the latter years
of a piano’s life simply come earlier.Fear in the market place of this
type of damage will never go away – a piano that has been in water
suffers a permanent reduction in its market value.The likelihood of some
structural failures can be reduced by reinforcing some glued joints with
screws or other mechanical fasteners, and replacing critical metal
parts, such as strings or casters, which have begun to corrode.

Because the piano still retains significant moisture, my recent
inspection only covers phase 1 damage, which is minimal.The most
significant findings are rusted strings and casters, and swollen
wood.The detailed itemization is attached.My findings are completely
consistent with the report by Xxxx Yyyyy RPT Dated 8-10-2010.At this
time, no repairs are recommended.

I recommend that the piano be inspected again in January or February, at
which time the humidity in the piano should be at it’s seasonal
minimum.At that time we can put together a recommendation of repairs to
phase 1 and phase 2 damage, and preventive action aimed at phase
3.Alternatively, if the insurance company will allow, the piano can be
observed for a longer period of time to see what additional damage might
manifest."