[pianotech] Soundboard stuph

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 17 06:45:49 MDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 4:39 AM, Encore Pianos wrote:
> So Ron, what is your opinion about the best place along the length of the
> rib to install many bolts for the purpose of mass loading?  :-)

The 1/4" bolts at the belly rail were clearly a mass loading concern,
where I suspect the multiple screws in each rib along the same panel
joint across the full length of the joint were installed in the belief
that the little sound vibrations that found themselves forced by the
strings through the bridge at the speed of sound in maple (somehow
getting past the horizontal glue joints of the cap and panel to bridge
root interfaces, and making a miraculous right angle turn at the ribs,
could make another miraculous right angle turn and climb up those
embedded screws to reactivate the panel along that specific joint,
enhancing the apparently perceived deficiency in sound amplification at
that point. Switching from Faultless to Darnell casters, and possibly
adding a forth, would have realized another dramatic improvement. Or
maybe the other way. I forget.

Or the thing was just falling apart there, and clamping it back together
cosmetically (from in top) for buzz bane was the extent of concern.

At least a nice brittle finish was put on the agraffes for enhanced
vibration transmission instead of that soft brass that was originally
there. That had surely to help too.

Ron N