[pianotech] Is this the work of an RPT?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Sep 1 03:45:02 MDT 2011

Not sure whether I should have started another thread with this, as it's
going off-topic a bit.  But I wanted to say, interesting anecdote Ger. I
was chatting to a client the week before last, who is a high school
music teacher, and also an HMiE (Her Majesty's inspectorate for
Education) for Music - a schools inspector for music. She was adamant
that her electronic keyboard was just "a tool", useful for doing certain
things, but that for playing pleasure, it would always be the old
Bechstein.  Another client is the same; a music teaqcher and performer
with an excellent reputation (and ability to match), he has a good
quality 'digital piano' as well as a very high quality upright piano.
For  playing pleasure, it's always the piano.  The 'digital piano' is a
useful addition, but not a substitute.

The temptation for education departments to save money by buying
keyboards for learning on, is unfortunate.  They are better than
nothing, and can be a useful music tool, with headphones etc.  But just
because they have 88 black and white keys that go up and down, that
doesn't mean they're really as good as a piano!

Best regards,

David Boyce