[pianotech] Is this the work of an RPT?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Sep 1 08:28:13 MDT 2011

I agree with you again, Jer.

For an advanced music student working on the fingering of a difficult
passage far into the night, a 'digital piano' is surely a boon, because
he/she can plug in headphones.  And if you are doing complex MIDI or
other computery stuff and using 'Sibelius' or other notation software,
again, the digital instrument has its place.  Or if you are in a small
ensemble who visit care homes giving performances, a portable keyboard
is great.  But for playing PLEASURE, there is an element missing in even
the best of the electronic instruments. Some kind of physical response
that you get from wooden levers, felt hammers, steel strings etc.  That
surely goes for listening pleasure too - I can't think of a single CD of
major piano repertoire recorded on a digital instrument.

I agree that "HMIE" sounds funny. In fact it's now subsumed into another
body, but it was the goverment department in Scotland (not in England
and Wales) responsible for monitoring quality in schools and colleges.
http://www.hmie.gov.uk/   Those of us who have worked in education, have
all known the apprehension of an impending Inspectorate visit! (Though
in my twenty-one years of college teaching, I never got picked for a
classroom observation).

Best regards,

David.