[pianotech] Digital "pianos"

Alan Eder reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 09:47:02 MDT 2011

Hi Joe,

Digital "pianos" have nothing to do with acoustic pianos other than
the similarity of the noted keys.

... which is why I avoid using the term "acoustic pianos" (I know, writing that is like saying "never say never").  There are pianos, and there are other things with keyboards, both acoustic and electronic, although none of them are pianos.  To my way of thinking, there is no such thing as a non-acoustic piano (Electric "pianos", such as the Fender-Rhodes, notwithstanding).  In the world of keyboards, there are, as you rightly point out, acoustic instruments such as  pianos (and harpsichords and organs) and then there are electronic keyboards, (including "digital pianos", which I usually refer to as "digital keyboards", which may have a sampled piano sound, among others).

Alan Eder