[pianotech] Electronic Keyboards - NOT "pianos"!!

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Sep 1 10:31:20 MDT 2011

Joe, piano technicians will not be able to stop people calling these
devices pianos.

We can set an example, but that's all.

In point of fact, I called them Digital or Electronic Pianos.  They will
be called what they will be called. Language is living and fickle. What
we call a piano today started out with a longer name, did it not?
Clavicembalo con piano é forte, or some such thing.  These digital
instruments will have piano in the name, and we cannot stop it.
Marketing, if  nothing else, will ensure this.

We are in complete agreement about the merits and demerits of these devices.

Best regards,

David.