[pianotech] building a business

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 08:07:27 MDT 2011

Hi Marshall,

You are new at it Marshall.  It took me many, many years to build it up.
How long and how fast it builds up depends on how hard one works at building
it up along with the quality of workmanship that you do.  I worked my tail
off doing whatever I had to do. I worked on "almost" any type of piano but
square grand's.  As my business increased, so did my rates but at the same
time, I started turning down the "lesser quality pianos" working my business
up to the better quality pianos and the clients with more money so that if
the economy was affected, I would not be as apt to affected so much as the
next tech that will be affected that relies on mostly incoming calls to stay
busy.  By lesser pianos, I mean, pianos with all plastic action parts and
such.  I've paid my dues on those 10 times over replacing all of the parts
on them.  J  However, it took me many years to get to that point, where I
could start cutting back on that sort of thing.  If one is busy enough, you
can pick and choose more on which pianos you would like or not like to
accept for tuning but, again, that will take you many years, 10, 15, I don't
know, it all depends on how much you work the system itself and your
particular community.  I used to even resort to thumbing through the phone
book!!  Anything to get just one tuning!

You HAVE TO HAVE a good attitude no matter what with your customers.  This
morning, to be frank, I am in a ROTTEN mood but, is it showing?  J  I hide
it with my clients if I am grouchy, or down, or worried about whatever
because they don't want to see it,  they don't want to know it and least of
all, they don't want to hear it.  Anymore than I want to know about from
them.  J  As I said before, attitude is everything. I have a motto.  No
matter what life brings our way, "life is what you make it."  If we have
less work, "life is what we make it."  When a loved one dies, "life is what
you make it."  If you can't make a living, "Life is what you make it."
Notice the word YOU in it.  Nobody makes me or my life happy but for myself.
A better attitude makes for a happier person and for better quality work
too.

If you wait for the work to come to you, it'll take forever to come to you,
if it comes at all.  You have to go after 'it.'  Work the business.  That's
one mistake newer people make, they wait for "IT" to come to "them" and then
they get down on themselves when it doesn't.  NO business builds itself up
all by itself.  Make cold calls for example.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, but, I forgot about until this morning
was after my mom died, my dad KEPT the college for himself.  He didn't turn
the business over to me for about 3 more years or so, I don't remember the
exact year.  He refused to do so until I took my RPT exams.  I finally did 2
or 3 years after I drummed up the courage..  Without the college tunings, I
had mostly nothing to tune.  For me, it was like starting a business from
scratch like anyone else.  The difference is that I worked it and worked it
and worked it and I worked it.  Day and night.  I made calls, drove to
churches and schools and I knocked on one door after the other introducing
myself over and over again.  I became friends with several dealers of which
we now only have 2 left but, I remain friends with them to this day.  To
satisfy anyone, I worked days, evenings, Saturdays, NO Sunday's though.  I
refuse them all and still do. I don't believe in it.   Speaking of the
college, I'm supposed to be there right now..  I'm tired this morning, not
much sleep last night and so, I am procrastinating leaving here but yet,
once I do leave here, I will not come back until I have tuned at least 5
pianos.

As for price increases.  My accountant told me many years ago that we need
to increase our rates by 3.5 % PER YEAR in order to just stay even with
inflation.  More than that if we wish to remain one step above it.  4 % for
example.  I've raised my rates yearly or every couple of years for the most
part.

Our economy has an impact on everything.  The more people that are working
and making money, the more taxes uncle Sam can take in.