[pianotech] Acoustic vs. digital - there's the question!

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Sep 3 09:34:52 MDT 2011

Hi Chuck,

I'm with you.  I've experienced some of the "best" digital instruments,
including the Yamaha Avant Grand.  And, they're nice, they really are.  But
they are digital and it's obvious.  I think they can be a great tool, but if
you appreciate and want the sound of a piano, the digital instruments
available today just don't cut it.

It's really about defining our goals again.  If your priorities are
composing software, practicing with headphones, etc., then the new digitals
can be fantastic.  But if your primary concern is that your instrument be
like a piano, there's nothing that does that but the piano.  From there you
start making the appropriate compromises for your particular situation.

William R. Monroe